Are You Ready for the 'Big Freeze'? - SsangYong Is!06-11-2015
- Tivoli 4x4 arrives in showrooms this month from just £17,100
- 2016 Korando, Rexton & Turismo powered by new 2.2 litre Euro 6 diesel engines
- 4x4 available across the five model range including Korando Sports pick-up
- SsangYong - Korea’s oldest 4x4 and SUV specialist
- 5 year limitless mileage warranty
With the Met Office forecasting the strongest El Niño effect since 1950 which could bring a ‘Big Freeze’ this winter, many people are already thinking about how best to keep mobile as the cold snap approaches.
Whether driving in wet, icy or snowy conditions, the benefits of having the right car and on the right tyres is essential.
Every car in the SsangYong range is available with four wheel drive
|SsangYong Tivoli 4x4||SsangYong Tivoli 4x4||SsangYong Korando 2.2|
The new Tivoli 4x4 arrives in dealer showrooms this month and utilises the same smart Torque on Demand system that makes the new Korando 2.2 such a good off-roader.
Drawing on SsangYong’s considerable experience of four wheel drive, this electronically controlled on-demand system distributes power to the front and rear drive shafts as required, and automatically adjusts to the road surface and driving conditions to optimise performance.
In normal driving, the drive system distributes all the power to the front wheels to enhance fuel efficiency, and automatically adapts to four-wheel drive in snow or wet, slippery conditions, by diverting power to the rear wheels to ensure driving stability. For further control and reassurance, particularly when driving up a hill or across a slope, the 4x4 system operates with Hill Start Assist to help deliver power to any wheels that begin to lose grip and start spinning. An all-wheel drive lock mode is also provided to ensure a 50/50 spread of torque between the front and rear wheels at speeds up to 25mph, essential for when low speed traction and control is needed.
The Tivoli 4x4 also features sophisticated multi-link rear suspension for greater off-road performance, as well as electronic stability program (ESP) and ABS for greater safety.
The new SsangYong Korando SUV crossover has received a significant power boost for 2016, together with improved economy and reduced CO2 emissions. The improvements are the result of a major upgrade to the powertrain which now employs a new Euro 6, 2.2 litre diesel engine, and offers the choice of two-wheel drive, four-wheel drive and either a 6-speed manual or new Aisin 6-speed automatic transmission for smooth gear changing and an enhanced driving performance. Maximum power is increased to 178ps and torque to 400Nm with maximum torque delivered from a low of 1,400rpm. The same engine also features in 2016 Rexton and Turismo models.
The Rexton, Korando Sports pick-up and Turismo ELX are equipped with a switchable four wheel drive system to ensure excellent off road capability, and also feature a low ratio transfer box to deal with the most extreme loads, inclines and surfaces. Perfect for both towing and tackling wintry conditions, the 4x4 system utilises SsangYong’s years of experience to deliver the ultimate traction whatever the conditions.
In addition, every all-wheel drive model is equipped with high specification mud & snow tyres to give optimum grip regardless of the weather or road conditions. SsangYong equips these cars with leading Korean manufactured tyres which have been specifically developed for premium crossover/SUV vehicles. These are contemporary all-season tyres whose durable construction and tread pattern ensure high levels of wet and dry weather traction and ride comfort, as well as good wear performance.
Storming prices on SsangYong 4x4 models
Prices for the range start as follows:
|Korando 2.2 SE||£17,495|
|Rexton 2.2 SE||£22,995|
|Korando Sports pick-up||£14,995 (ex VAT)|
|Turismo 2.2 ELX||£24,995|
5 year limitless mileage warranty
All models in the SsangYong range are covered by a best in class 5 year limitless mileage warranty.
Designed to be totally transparent and give customers complete peace of mind, ‘limitless’ means just that: not a maximum mileage condition that some brands impose in their small print. All the major mechanical components are covered including wheel bearings, suspension joints and bushes, steering joints, shock absorbers and even the audio system. Wearable components such as clutch discs and brake friction materials which could have their life reduced by poor driving are covered for one year or 12,000 miles, and the battery and paintwork for three years.
SsangYong’s top tips for driving this winter
- Visibility - keep your windows clean and clear inside and out. Demist thoroughly. Defrost any ice from all windows and remove any accumulation of snow from the roof and bonnet before setting off.
- Air conditioning - this dries out the air in the cabin so get yours checked before winter.
- Tyres - make sure your car is fitted with the right tyres, have ample tread depth and are correctly inflated. (Every SsangYong now features a tyre pressure monitoring system).
- Lights - keep your lights clean and replace any faulty bulbs immediately.
- Number plates - keep clean and clear of snow to ensure maximum reflection in the dark.
- Speed - reduce your speed especially when driving at night and through puddles, and particularly when the temperature drops below 4 degree C. When driving in slippery conditions, select the highest gear possible. (SsangYong cars with automatic transmission feature a Winter mode).
- Distance - increase the braking distance between you and the car in front when it’s wet or icy.